net-net

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Oct 12 15:47:41 UTC 2010

        "Net net" actually does have a meaning.  It is a valuation
technique in which current assets are netted to reflect uncertainties in
collection (e.g., inventories are valued at liquidation values), and
then liabilities are netted against assets.

        As described, however, HP's job creation number was merely a
"net" number, because there was only one netting process.  There are at
least two possible explanations for Fiorina's use:

                1.      She is using a phrase that sounds impressive but
is meaningless in context (or, perhaps, sounds more impressive than is
really the case), for obfuscatory purposes.  This, I take it, is Jon's
theory.

                2.      There actually was a calculation that reflected
two netting processes, but she does not remember what the other netting
process was or feels that she would be unable to describe it concisely.
Based on my experience with CEO spokespersons, this would be my guess.

        There is also something called a "net net net" (or "triple net")
lease, in which the lessee has to pay the net amounts of three types of
costs.  I'm not aware of any quadruple nets, however.

John Baker