"casualty"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 14 02:18:28 UTC 2010

Unscrupulous sources may adjust their estimates or reports of casualties ad
lib, but, AFAIK, not even the Nazi propaganda machine redefined the  actual
meaning  of "casualty" in this way. And why bother? It's easier just to make
up numbers.
I believe that the principal explanation is simple confusion combined with a
desire to make things seem as awful as possible.

Garson's ad-hoc riddle is perfect. I can't wait to try it on somebody.

JL