Marine; soldier = 'naval seaman'; his-story = 'history focused on men'; etc.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 15 17:27:50 UTC 2010

Naturally the source is once again recent lit crit.

The academic author taught in India. I don't know if the following usages
are typical of formal Indian English. The writer discusses in a professional
journal, published at Wesleyan U., James A.Michener's _Tales of the South
Pacific _ (1947).  Having just reread the book, I can assure you that all
major characters belong to the U.S. Navy:

2002 Madhumalati Adhikari in _History and Theory_ XLI 46: Michener's _Tales_
focuses on. . . the Marines stationed on the islands of the South Pacific.
52: The American officers and soldiers . . . have been forced to try to live
in this war-torn area.  53: [T]he Marines in the tales....

P. 52: "In Michener's 'his story,' Tony Fry becomes a hero."

Also, _rape_ = 'serious distortion.'

P. 44: "Plausible documents need to be created to bridge evident gaps [in
historical records]. This is not a rape of history but a generous act to
give credibility and continuity to it." [If "document" means what it usually
means, this statement is worth pondering; but the context suggests it
may instead mean 'literary works'.]

Not in OED is _emplotment_ 'literary plotting; placement in a literary
plot":

P. 46: "The discovery and emplotment of this new truth becomes an
inspiration to act and think differently."

Before her retirement in 2003, Prof. Adhikari taught in the Department of
Post-Graduate Studies and Research in English of Jabalpur University. She is
the author of nearly forty professional articles.

JL