Marine; soldier = 'naval seaman'; his-story = 'history focused on men'; etc.

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Fri Oct 15 21:44:13 UTC 2010

Looking at the article, it definitely seems some of the usages are based in
ignorance. The most striking example I see of this lack of background in the
subject is on p. 52:

"The role of these 'Negroes' in the fateful war as narrated by Michener in
minimal. In general, 'Negroes' are confined either to the role of graveyard
keepers, or are destined to die very early. In contrast, heroic acts of
white Marines and the men of the Air Force are narrated with vigor."

Of course, blacks were almost entirely excluded from the Marines and the
Navy in WWII in WWII. Unlike the Army and the Army Air Forces, the Navy and
the Marine Corps did not, with some few exceptions, allow African Americans
to serve. The only blacks that would be found would be a few in service
positions like grave diggers or galley stewards. So of course Michener's
narration would reflect this. A Lit Crit academic from India is not likely
to know such things. The racial arguments in the article are probably still
valid, but they need to be framed differently. The article makes it sound as
if Michener is the one excluding blacks and not government policy.

I don't want to be too critical because it looks like there is some good
stuff in the article, but it sure could have used someone with a smattering
of background in military history on the peer review committee.