Hitchcock's McGuffin story possibly derived from a story about an imaginary mongoose

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Oct 17 18:30:51 UTC 2010

--

No doubt Hitchcock's story was equivalent to the mongoose story (I've
heard a few variants myself).

But of course it's possible that the story actually had nothing at all
to do with the origin of the term "McGuffin", but was only connected to
this "McGuffin" as a retrospective guess or error (by Hitchcock or
somebody else).

At G-books, apparently the same passage twice, in disgusting snippet
form, dated 1925 and 1926 (of course the date etc. should be checked):

<<I forget who was the creator of "McGuffin," but a "McGuffin" is a gift
that is not to be opened until Christmas.>>

This appears to be in a light/humorous piece about newly-coined words or
new words which are needed, so it's not clear (to me) whether "McGuffin"
referring to a Christmas present really existed previously.

Anyway, assuming this passage is what it seems to be and correctly
dated, we have a candidate for the ancestral "McGuffin", surely
appropriate in form and perhaps appropriate in sense also. I suppose
that the necklace or document or whatever item is called for by a story
plot is something which for suspense purposes is not to be revealed
until a certain point ... so it's "do not reveal until the
climax/denouement/whatever", a good analogy to "do not open until Xmas".

Pardon me if this quotation has appeared here before; I don't see it in
the archive.

-- Doug Wilson