gripe

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 18 20:15:41 UTC 2010

Arnold may be more gregarious than I am. In fact, he'd almost have to be.
But I'm quite sure that I learned the expression from print or film, and I
honestly don't believe I've *ever* heard it used in NYC.
And certainly I haven't heard it used in real life by anyone for a good
number of years. (When I did hear it, it was usually - i.e., all dozen or so
times since the '70s - in the emphatic form, "What really gripes my ass
is...").

I share Arnold's sense that it is being supplanted or at least surpassed by
the increasing acceptability of "pisses me (off)."  When I was in high
school, "pissed off" was already common, but was not infrequently euphemized
to "P.O.'d."  It's been a long time since I've heard that one, and now "piss
(off)" is virtually an everyday expression everywhere. (I've heard young
middle-class parents use it calmly to and about young children.)

HDAS III, if it existed, would conjecture that "pissed off" comes from "peed
off," a misunderstanding or vulgarization of "peeved (off)."

In any case, "pissed off" is not attested in any form before ca1942.  A
connection with British "browned off" or "brassed off" is conceivable but
seemingly unlikely. Etymology uncertain.  More suggestions?

Note: common British _pissed_ 'drunk' is poorly attested in the U.S. before
ca1980 and is still infrequent.  British _piss off_ 'go away' is likewise
recent and infrequent here.  I suspect that what currency they each have
comes significantly from exposure to British rock culture.

JL