gripe

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 19 01:08:15 UTC 2010

  Both "pissed" and "pissed off" are attested in AmE and I would judge
them widespread (I've heard both versions pretty much everywhere I've
been--and they are both even picked up by foreign English speakers,
e.g., the Dutch who've never been in the US). There might be some
distributional difference--e.g., I suspect, "pissed" has a slightly
narrower context, such as "I am pissed" or "This got me pissed", but not
"?I got pissed about Alan's promotion." (To my ear, "pissed off" would
be measurably better here.) Most of the time, however, they are
semi-interchangeable.

I have never heard "pissed"==drunk in the US outside of British TV shows
(or English characters in films). But "get piss drunk" is quite
common--at least among the Boston Irish-American contingent. Then, of
course, there is the indignity of being "piss poor", but, I suspect,
that flies on either side of the Atlantic.

     VS-)