gripe

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 19 02:02:36 UTC 2010

  I'll defer to the gurus, but, it seems, AmE "pissed" is a truncation
of "pissed off".

But if you really want to go to the well, try looking up "pissing
vinegar", which has at least one strongly positive and one strongly
negative connotation. To top it off, there is a number of claims that
"pissing vinegar" has been improperly derived (eggcorn-style, I suppose)
from "piss and vinegar"--good luck untangling that one!

     VS-)