Has "congressman" ALWAYS meant "representative, not senator"?

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 21 02:42:51 UTC 2010

  I have communicated with a number of correspondents who use 2. in most
instances, but occasionally use 1. in reference to the entire
congressional delegation of a state. Normally, the latter is plural. I
can't say offhand if I've ever seen them use it to describe a single
person, as usually such a description of a single Senator uses the term
Senator. The same applies to honorific address--if you know that the one
person you're addressing is a Senator, it would be silly to address
him/her as "Congressman/woman" if there is a perfectly appropriate and
gender-neutral term Senator. So the question is, how do you address a
mixed group of Representatives and Senators. The only time when you
might need to use "Congressman" would be if you are describing a generic
member of Congress, without a tie to specific chamber (e.g., describing
a rule proscribing conflicts of interest). I don't have specific samples
from correspondence and, obviously, searching would not help without
reading every single message. If I spot one in the wild, I'll be happy
to forward it, although there is no guarantee it will be timely.

     VS-)