Synonyms for sex organs in Spanish (cp. to English)

Paul Frank paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU
Thu Oct 21 04:49:01 UTC 2010

It's a well-known fact that 76% of professional linguists and 98% of
lexicographers got their first taste of their future discipline by
looking up dirty words in the dictionary.

Okay, so I just made this statistic up. But so did the guy who claims
that 80% of the "total number of words used in Spanish" are understood
everywhere in the Spanish-speaking world. Does that total include
legal terms in Chile and Costa Rica, terms used by biochemists, terms
used by members of the La Viruta tango school in Buenos Aires, and
terms coined by Chilean exiles during the 1970s and 1980s? My guess is
that more than 95% of the words used in the front page of today's El
Pais (Spain) and El Mercurio (Chile) are understood by Spanish
speakers with a university education everywhere.

Paul

Paul Frank
Translator
Chinese, German, French, Italian > English
Espace de l'Europe 16
Neuchâtel, Switzerland
paulfrank at bfs.admin.ch
paulfrank at post.harvard.edu