kype

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Oct 23 14:56:54 UTC 2010

At 10/23/2010 04:10 AM, Victor Steinbok wrote:
>My ex-wife is working with a bunch of very strangely bigoted people.

Don't you mean "strange bigoted people"?  :-)

>Last night, the employer threw a "party" for the monthly birthdays and
>offered the employees a cake.
>
>One of the other employees commented to my ex, "I'm going to kype that
>cake from you."
>
>This made no sense. "Skype?"
>
>"No, kype. You know, like an insult to Jewish people."
>
>"Jip? Kiek?" "Yeah, it's like 'jip' and 'kiek'."
>
>Even replacing it with the only plausible "jew" still would make no
>sense: "I'm going to jew that cake from you."

"Jew" (verb) makes sense.  From the OED:  "To cheat or overreach, in
the way attributed to Jewish traders or usurers."  Here without
reference to the context of usurous or cheating commercial
transactions, merely "cheat" as to deprive of in an underhanded
way.  More like "glom".  After which he would bogart it.

Joel