File under: Say it ain't so

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 23 20:01:18 UTC 2010

I believe what she's trying to say in that passage is not that JA can't
write, just that she's discovered a *brand-new and even more fascinating
Jane Austen*.  (There was a time in hjistory you weren't supposed to have to
*guess* at what literary scholars were "trying" to say.)

Surely she doesn't think that, exactly.  But by trying to jazz up the
academic style with the far more marketable pop-media style "(_Life is
Beautiful_ puts a whole new face on the Holocaust! Buy tickets now!"), she
makes a serious rhetorical misstep.

Recognizable by approximately five people on the planet Earth.

JL