File under: Say it ain't so

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 23 20:45:05 UTC 2010

If the only shortcoming of JA's ms. compared to the published
version were her confusion about every English speaker's second-favorite
"grammatical" rule (after "Don't split an infinitive!"), journalists would
crow about what an illiterate she "really" was.

Cf. the superstition that George Washington wore ridiculous wooden teeth and
that they made him look chronically grumpy.

As is well known, Percy Shelley edited Mary Shelley's _Frankenstein_.  I can
remember graduate students complaining that the very suggestion was a libel.

Everybody needs a good editor. (I believe that Shakespeare's was
either Francis Bacon or the King James Bible team; am working on a final
ID.)

JL