kype

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Oct 24 00:25:31 UTC 2010

At 1:45 PM -0400 10/23/10, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>At 10/23/2010 12:06 PM, Victor Steinbok wrote:
>>  No, I meant that they are bigoted in a strange way.
>>
>>     VS-)
>
>But bigotry against Jews is not strange -- that is, not "10. a.
>Unfamiliar, abnormal, or exceptional to a degree that excites wonder
>or astonishent; difficult to take in or account for; queer,
>surprising, unaccountable."

Bigotry against Jews on the grounds that we're known for swindling,
cheapness, usury, nerdiness, incompetence at athletics,
money-grubbing, "killing our Lord", and general untrustworthiness is
not strange.  Bigotry against Jews on the grounds that we're
inveterate cake snatchers is pretty strange.  Sounds like something
invented by Steve Carell or his writers on The Office.

LH