sock poet

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Oct 24 20:37:52 UTC 2010

At 4:14 PM -0400 10/24/10, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>I've looked into this and, as I half suspected, the blurb about the
>mysterious "sock poets" is essentially an academic press's advertising
>gimmick to influence you to buy the book. I mean, who could they be?
>
>Those whom the blurb memorably designates  the "sock poets" were a momentary
>school of versifiers who responded to a weekly contest in the N.Y. _Sun_ to
>write the best darn poems they could about knitting socks for doughboys
>overseas. Prizes were various amounts of wool yarn.
>
>The best of the best were anthologized at the end of the war in a little
>anthology called _Sock Songs_, which you can read at Google Books.
>
>Look! Here's a distinguished sock poet now! It's Edgar Alcott!:
>
>A SOLDIER BOY
>
>There's a soldier boy far across the deep sea
>Who is fighting for you, fighting for me.
>I do not know his name, still no stranger is he,
>For he's fighting to make all humanity free.
>
>I'm knitting socks for this dear soldier boy,
>It gives me great pleasure, satisfaction and joy.
>He's some loving mother's son, we all know,
>Still he's fighting for you and for me also.
>Ever read anything quite like it?  I bet you haven't!  We should be thankful
>to Professor Van Wienen and the University of Illinois Press for bringing to
>light this forgotten moment of American literary history, for coining the
>name "sock poet" (my retroactive nomination for WOTY 2002)

You do realize that this would require us to unpick "weapons of mass
destruction".  Of course, it might be only fair to do some unpicking
here, especially if Mr. Alcott's knitter was working with wool.  (As
noted earlier, this particular "unpick" is still alive and well, at
least in the U.K.  In _An Unsuitable Job for a Woman_, P. D. James
has one of her characters comment about the fate of some jerseys left
by a dead man,
"Take them away and give them to anyone who needs them. Unless you
think I ought to unpick the wool and knit it up into something new?
Would that be a suitable gesture, do you think, symbolic of wasted
effort, pathos, futility?"

Maybe Mr. Alcott's poem could be unpicked and the words used for
another purpose.

LH