rout = 'complete and decisive victory'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 26 11:25:05 UTC 2010

CNN puts up a screen predicting the odds that Democrats will lose control of
the House.  The stated odds say they will.

All-caps title of the screen:   "REPUBLICAN ROUT?"

What they mean is "DEMOCRATIC ROUT?"

(You know, the more I look at the simple word "rout," the weirder it
seems. It's just a weird word. When I was five, I got hung up on the word
"glue": it just seemed very, very strange _per se_.  Even creepy.  But
definitely not eerie.)

JL