deleriously = 'so as to impart delirium or ecstasy in the beholder or hearer; intoxicatingly; (hence, _broadly_) extravangantly; extraordinarily'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 27 17:19:49 UTC 2010

I assumed this was a 20th C. usage, but I was wrong - at least insofar as it
relates to literal ecstasy or delirium. The 1851 may be considered
ambiguous:

[1851 Thomas DeQuincey  _Essays on the Poets_  (rpt. Boston: Ticknor &
Fields, 1853) 286: The characters are all different, all marked, all in
position; by which, never assuming fixed attitudes as to purpose and
interest, the passions are deliriously complex, and the situations are of
corresponding grandeur.]

1856 _Dwight's Journal of Music_ (Oct. 18) 21: [Y]et how deliriously
beautiful, how soothing, or how exhilarating the harmony!

1884 _Punch_ 177 (Apr. 12): Beside him sat, or rather reclined in his arms,
a deliriously beautiful girl.

1911 W. J. L. Hughes _The Hughes Family and Connections_ (Owensboro, Ky.:
pvtly. ptd.) 163: Oh, how that carried my memory back to those glorious,
deliriously beautiful days that I passed in that delightful region more than
a half century ago. Calm, quiet, clear, tranquil, halcyon days were those.

1928 _The American Mercury_ XIV 17 [GB; not confirmed on paper]: [W]hat a
deliriously marvelous feeling of superiority it gave her.

1949 Phyllis McGinley in _Harper's Magazine_   CXCIX 80 [GB; not confirmed
on paper]: Few of us expect to be deliriously wealthy or world-famous or
divorced.

1955 _Popular Science_ (June) 102: It's because the SAC's planes, B-47
six-engine bombers, are almost deliriously complicated.

1989 Jim Conway _Friendship_ (Grand Rapids, Mich.: Pyrenee Books) 48: The
deliriously wonderful outcome was that I dated Janet several times.

2003 Thomas Cahill _Sailing the Wine-Dark Sea_ (N.Y.: Random House) 27: It
is this formula that Homer intends to reveal to us [in the Iliad], a
deliriously elaborate three-dimensional portrayal of human affairs.

JL