Hitchcock's McGuffin story possibly derived from a story about an imaginary mongoose

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 28 01:14:07 UTC 2010

Surely "McGuffin" never really "meant" a "gift not to be opened till
Christmas" to any statistically significant number of people. (Conceivably
it was a joke term in use by Schauffler's family.)  What would lead to such
a connection?  And the referent does not have the cultural importance
associated with things that prompt the evolution of widespread synonyms. I
think the word only makes sense as a joke - which is how it functions in the
story.

McGuffin is such an uncommon name as to make it unlikely that two persons
would independently hit on it - apparently arbitrarily - to designate
something mysterious. And in both cases that mysterious something is the
content of a box, parcel, bag, etc.

Of course, maybe Schauffler himself - or one of his (comparatively few)
readers inserted the name into the mongoose story, which we know had a
certain traceable circulation since the late 1800s. And by chance, maybe
that story got to Hitchcock.

Stranger accidents and coincidences have occurred, but I think it far more
likely than not that Schauffler's McGuffin is connected with Hitchcock's.
Not that mere "likelihood" settles anything.

As innumerable surprising antedatings of expressions here and elsewhere
suggest, it would not be too surprising to discover through something like
divine revelation that a McGuffin version of the mongoose story was in
limited circulation fifteen or twenty years before Hitchcock began to use
the word.  I'm not appealing to ignorance here, I'm simply saying that it's
perfectly possible and that we don't know for sure.

JL