service revolver == sidearm/service weapon (UNCLASSIFIED)

Thu Oct 28 15:07:21 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

<aardvark66 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > It's the same kind of
> > ... "_paraplegic_" being replaced by
> > "quadriplegic" in situations where the latter term does not offer a
> > correct description of the condition.
>
> It goes without saying that no two people experience the same reality.
> Nevertheless, FWIW, IME, _quadriplegic_ is close to extinct in casual
> speech or writing and a - to me, absolutely *astounding* - number of
> speakers of all kinds in all walks of life, both on TV and in the
> wild, say "parap[@]legic," to the extent that plain "paraplegic" is
> beginning to sound almost pedantic, to my ear.
>
> -Wilson

("Christopher Reeve" + quadriplegic) = 13400 raw google hits
("Christopher Reeve" + quadraplegic) = 19400 raw google hits

Likely a great deal of overlap in the two sets

("Christopher Reeve" + paraplegic) = 9280 raw google hits
("Christopher Reeve" + parapalegic) = 1080 raw google hits