The things you learn on the OED [was: NPR]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed Sep 1 23:56:27 UTC 2010

Apparently known from 1945, before post-war inflation.  The authority
(pace Wilson) says:

With allusion to the (former) price of admission to public toilets.
1945 H. LEWIS Strange Story iv. 27 'Us girls,' she said, 'are going
to spend a penny!' [And so on.]

Joel