shagging & fucking

David A. Daniel dad at POKERWIZ.COM
Sat Sep 4 19:53:00 UTC 2010

George, I gotta say, I am right with ya. Probably 90% of the subjects posted
here, I have a quick look and delete, then go on deleting the rest of the
thread. But the 10% that interest me (or that I know something about) I
follow assiduously. And I guaran-shagging-tee you I have not missed one post
in the shagging & fucking thread. Am paying close attention, and have
learned a great deal, principally about 17th century English men and their
relationship to rectums, about which I had been ignorant. This has
definitely been one of the more enlightening threads of the last few years.
DAD

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
George Thompson
Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2010 2:12 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: shagging & fucking

Jesse Sheidlower: > Thanks, George, for this terrific find.

You and the OED are welcome.  I am always happy to advance scabrous
knowledge.  I have never lost the fascination with dirty words I felt when I
was 15 -- it is called, I believe, staying young at heart.  My usual reading
matter -- NYC newspapers, 1801-1850 -- offer remarkably few dirty words, so
I must hope to find them elsewhere.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ.
Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.