plug-in

imwitty imwitty at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 4 20:14:39 UTC 2010

Dear Victor,

As far as I know, the term “plug-in” is normally used to define some
additional piece of the *software* designed to provide extra function(s) not
existent in the original/main software product.

After checking all links in the article you mentioned in your message, I
found the original text of the Toshiba recall, which doesn’t use the
“plug-in” while correctly describing all details of the issue:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/bulletin.jsp?ct=SB&soid=2761378&ref=EV

The term “plug-in” appears on the press-release of the U.S. Consumer Product
Safety Commission at
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10330.htmlin the “Hazard”
description line.

So it is obviously not  a “lost in translation”/"Japanization" case but
rather the result of “creativity” AND a lack of the computer terminology
knowledge in the office of some native English-speaking bureaucrat and/or
his assistant who “cooked” that press release.

 Lora

This e-mail is a natural product.  The slight
variations in spelling and grammar enhance
its individual character and beauty and in no
way are to be considered flaws or defects.