s--t!

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Sep 5 17:05:44 UTC 2010

At 9/5/2010 07:15 AM, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
> > Undsoubtedly shit, but does a "s--t" qualify for the OED and the HDAS?
>
>Yes.

If I'd only known!  There are many elisions by dashes in the 18th
century stuff I read; perhaps I've overlooked something.
But probably not ... I tend to use any excuse to report a vulgarity.
:-)

Do I have to find exactly the right number of dashes?  Did I not once
here participate in a dispute over whether a dash-ed word was one
thing (vulgar) or another (proper)?  Sorry, I can't remember more.

Joel