Urgent News: LSA 2011 Annual Meeting

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 7 17:14:05 UTC 2010

At 4:48 PM +0000 9/7/10, Tom Zurinskas wrote:
>Let's do it in Florida.  I don't have clothes for Pittsburgh in
>January.  I could make some calls around my stomping grounds in Palm
>Beach county for price and availability.  Ocean temp is in the low
>70's.
>

>Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL7+
>see truespel.com phonetic spelling

Um, sure.  But speaking as a (fortunately ex-)member of the LSA
Program Committee, I have to point out that finding a hotel
(preferably a Hilton hotel) 4 months ahead of time for a specific
4-day period that allows for something 8 simultaneous sessions for
the LSA itself, without factoring in meeting rooms for the ADS and
several other sister societies, does mean that certain logistical
constraints come into play.  (A similar problem arising 6 years ago,
although attributable to a different cause, led to the East Coast
meeting being switched from New York to Anaheim.)

LH

P.S.  If you're keeping score, Pittsburgh had been chosen as the site
for the triennial "Midwest" or "Central" meeting.  Oh, and I'm pretty
sure Florida is ruled out because of the room costs that time of year.