Whilst

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Sep 7 21:22:57 UTC 2010

At 9/7/2010 04:14 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>The current thread on McWhorter and so-called Ebonics links to an NPR page
>that includes the following remark from a caller:
>
>"Like I said, I've been around African-American Marines who, you know, they
>speak that way before they come in the Marine Corps. And then, whilst, you
>know, whilst they're in the Marine Corps and things like that, where it's
>kind of not tolerated, you know, it kind of, you know, comes across as
>disrespectful when you speak to somebody that way - or at least, you know,
>in that general culture."
>
>Affected?  Brit immigrant?  Can we know?

Satirist?

I once (about 8 years ago) started speaking to a high-schooler of my
acquaintance that way (i.e., sprinkled with "like" and "you
know".  She looked at me with a puzzled expression and said "You
don't speak like that!"  I think it was a learning moment.

I haven't tested her yet with "whilst".

Joel