s---k pot, 1805 (?)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Sep 7 23:32:57 UTC 2010

At 6:46 PM +0000 9/7/10, ronbutters at aol.com wrote:
>There is no reason to think that "Don't be a sucker" is any less
>suggestive of fellatio than "That sucks"--if anything, it is moreso.

Nor do I think so.  My point was that there are contexts in which
"suck" and "stink" are not in competition for the same semantic slot.
"That sucks" vs. "That stinks" maybe so, "Don't be a stinker" (which
I wasn't pretending to find anomalous; that was the point of the
"respectively" in my response below) not likely.

>As for "Don't be a stinker," I don't agree that it is in the least anomalous.

Nor do I; I did, however, find "That stinks wind" anomalous.

LH