TIME quoting Putin

Paul Frank paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU
Wed Sep 8 17:14:54 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â TIME quoting Putin
>
> "You will be beaten _upside the head_ with a truncheon."
>

> I wonder how that was expressed in the Russian original! ;-)
>
> --
> -Wilson

I don't speak Russian but this sounds like a bad translation for
"you'll beaten over the head with a truncheon." The German press is
reporting "you'll be beaten over the head with a truncheon" ("Sie
werden mit einem Knüppel auf den Kopf geschlagen werden"). And so is
the Spanish press ("recibirán en la cabeza un golpe con una porra").
And the Chinese-language press ("å¯èƒ½å°‡è¢«è­¦æ£æ‰“åˆ°é ­"). Newspapers publish all
sorts of bad translations.

Paul

Paul Frank
Translator