Heard on [adult swim]: "Japan" > [dZei p&n]

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 8 22:48:21 UTC 2010

1945 Ernie Pyle _Last Chapter_ (N.Y.: Henry Holt, 1946) 23: I noticed a lot
of people [in the Marianas] unconsciously pronouncing Japan as "Jay-pan,"
just as in Africa we always used to say "A-rab" instead of "errab," as we
were taught in school. Sometimes they carried it into multisyllables, such
as "We're going to Jay-pan-man-land" tomorrow.

Pyle grew up in west-central Indiana: hence "errab."

JL