Heard on [adult swim]: "Japan" > [dZei p&n]

Gerald Cohen gcohen at MST.EDU
Thu Sep 9 01:24:56 UTC 2010

There's also a Japan in Missouri, pronounced "Jay-pan."
Robert Ramsay in his book _Storehouse of Missouri Placenames_ has an
interesting story about it.  The name attracted  unfavorable attention
during World War II, but then it came out that the town was not named
in honor of Japan but rather in honor of Christian martyrs who perished
there.

The objections then vanished.

That's from memory. My copy of Ramsay is at my office.

Gerald Cohen

-