Don't give (or get off your) rat's ass/arse/horse

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 9 12:47:59 UTC 2010

During WWII, at least at Parris Island, calisthenics were evidently called
"mass grab-ass"; the synonymous "organized grab-ass" is recorded in the
'50s, but probably dates back to the same period.

_Grab-ass_, v., is in HDAS from the '50s with attributions to WWII.

A good time to remind lurking whippersnappers that before the '60s - and
especially before ca1950 - even such harmless butt-related terms were rarely
seen in print.

Including _butt_, though that was probably the least taboo after (U.S.)
_fanny_ and the now for-some-reason-uncommon _duff_.

JL