Chomskian linguistics

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Thu Sep 9 15:52:43 UTC 2010

From: "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>

> Has Chomskian linguistics gone out of favor?  Why?  And in favor of what?
>
> Joel

Well, there's M.A.K.Halliday's Systemic Functional Linguistics, but that may
only run in Australia.

(Is Minimalist Linguistics still considered to be Chomsky2 or Chomsky3?)

(I was taught from "Categories of a Theory of Grammar" in Glasgow in the
sixties, and it was only later, when I went to York, that I discovered that
Chomsky wasn't just the author of _American Power and the New Mandarins_,
but had apparently also written some wee books on language.)

Robin