effort = "to try to obtain by effort; to obtain by effort"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 10 02:02:59 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:

> And from the contexts, it seems like "extorting" or "extracting". Â Or
> another, bleeped F(orting)-word, because they hadn't succeeded?

Youneverknow.

Talking head interviewing the leading lady of the cast of the
tres-sexy-even-for-its-day musical, "Oh, Calcutta!", on Sacramento,
CA, local PR:

TH. "Do you consider the kinds of things that you do in the play to be
risque, even erotic?"

LL. Why, yes, I do. In fact, I think that, if I were a man, I'd get a
hard on, too."

[Bleeep!]

A miss is as good as a mile.
--