Quote: an independent woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle (antedating 1976 May 5)

Fri Sep 10 07:14:21 UTC 2010

Journalist and Washington personality Barbara Howar is quoted using a
version of the saying while indicating that she heard it from a
"feminist".

Cite: 1976 May 05, Corpus Christi Times, "Barbara Howar: Social, Yes,
But She Knows How to Calculate" by Patricia Moore, Page 6C (NA Page
35), Column 3, Corpus Christi, Texas. [Credited to Chicago Daily News]
(NewspaperArchive)

A feminist said recently an independent woman needs a man like a fish
needs a bicycle. That's horsefeathers, at least for me. I like what
I'm doing but I'd like someone to scratch and giggle with.

Garson