"salting"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Sep 10 21:57:23 UTC 2010

George,

I just looked into EAN.  I assume, since you wrote "garbled" and not
"unreadable", you have the whole last sentence, which reads:
"When the lucky spot is pointed out to the gold hunter, and it is
"panned" as the term goes, particles of gold salted in a proper way,
of the course discovered, as the land is bid for accordingly."

My guess is that the meaning is "[particles of gold] are of course
discovered, and the land is bid for accordingly."

EAN has this from the Rhode Island American, Oct. 18, 1832 (two days
later than the Morning Courier & New-York Enquirer, which was a
little closer to the South); and the Salem Gazette, Oct. 26, 1832.

This is presumably about the Georgia Gold Rush of 1829.  I think
someone of Hawthorne's family went South and lost his investment
(although I don't know whether he bought into a salted mine).  The
publication in the Salem Gazette is perhaps not surprising.

Joel