TIME quoting Putin

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 11 20:59:37 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Rick Barr <rickbarremail at gmail.com> wrote:

You mean to say that King writes, mutatis mutandum,

_go upside NP's head_

as BE does. As for

> I'll smack myself upside the head with the heel of my palm

to paraphrase Hank (of King of The) Hill,

That sentence ain't right for BE.

Cases like this are a bitch to deal with. Is the sample ungrammatical?
Of course not! I'm a native-speaker of AmE and I know a grammatical
sentence when I see one. But would I or some other BE-speaker be
likely to produce it spontaneously?  I don't reckon so. But...

Youneverknow.

--
-Wilson
–––