"kinetic event"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 13 12:12:59 UTC 2010

CNN reports that the Defense Department counted nearly five thousand
"kinetic events" in Afghanistan last month.

Candy Crowley explained that that meant "attacks," though I'm not clear
about by whom. The Taliban? NATO? Both?

I suspect it's slightly more complicated than that, since "attack" suggests
bullets or shells rather than IUDs. Nonetheless, the phrase is open
to justifiable derision.

Unlike "collateral damage," "kinetic event" sounds deceptive from the
get-go. It's also so inclusive as to result in higher numbers and the
suggestion of greater violence than might be suggested by a more detailed
breakdown.

JL