Not a teddy bear

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 13 16:09:51 UTC 2010

Hmmmmm.  The more realistic this miniature bear looked, the more it would
seem to belong to a third category: a toylike teaching tool, or something of
that sort.

In *that* case, I'd agree it isn't a "teddy bear," because a "teddy bear" is
primarily a stylized *toy.*  However, I can also imagine a child thinking of
such an item as his teddy, as long as it was a bear.  I've seen plush
animals, standing on all fours, which look more bearlike than the
stereotypical teddy bear but still rather cartoonish as compared to a real
bear.  To me, they're "teddy bears" nonetheless.

JL

I thought the point of difference in the original query was simply the
nature of the stuffing.