better with each passing day (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tue Sep 14 15:53:20 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

> I saw Casablanca the other day, for the first time in years. And I was
> blown away, again, and for the umpteenth time. Every line gets better
> every time I hear it. Even the lines that aren't in the movie, like
> "play it again, Sam." Has any movie shaped the language more than
> Casablanca? When was the last time that a classic movie, the locus
> classicus of dozens of phrases and idioms, was made?

I think you could make a strong case for Caddyshack.  Yes, it's not as
good a movie (Casablanca is pretty much the best movie.)  But for a big
chunk of my generation of American males, no other movie is as quotable
and quoted as Caddyshack.  I, and many of my friends, have memorized big
pieces of this movie.  We didn't do so intentionally -- it's just that
the movie holds up to repeated watching of snippets:  as you channel
surf, if you land on Caddyshack you will stay a while.  And as you
watch, lines of dialog will stick with you in ways that many other
movies don't.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080487/quotes