better with each passing day (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Sep 15 16:05:54 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

> For me, the locus classicus of movie quotes is Monty Python and the
Holy Grail,
> woefully omitted from the AFI list due to flagrant nationalism. My
entirely
> unscientific impression is that Holy Grail is the move I hear quoted
most, other
> than (possibly) Casablanca. (But this likely reflects who I hang out
with, or at
> least eavesdrop upon, more than anything else.)
>
> Jeff

Holy Grail may indeed beat even Caddyshack.  When I hang out with my
drunk golfing friends, I hear more (and use more) quotes from
Caddyshack.  When I hang out with my Anglophile friends, we spout off
Monty Python to each other.

In either case, the quotes don't really have to mean anything.  They can
be in context -- when an attractive woman enters, we'd note that she is
"lean and mean and not too far in between" or is "a monkey woman".  But
they can be completely out of left field, as well.  I used to share an
office with a Caddyshack fan who would say "I've got that going for me,
which is nice" at times at which it would make no sense at all; likewise
"It's in the hole!" and "Winter rules".  Another buddy would say "I've
got a pond -- that would be good for you" apropos of nothing at all.