Memorable movie lines (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri Sep 17 14:58:28 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:

> > At 9/17/2010 08:03 AM, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
> > >I thought his last words, when Jack Lemmon finally says, "I'm a MAN",
> > >are, "Well -- nobody's perfect."
> >
> > The subject of this chain seems to have long since changed to [see
> > "Subject" above].
> >
> > Is there an Oscar for "best last line"?  Perhaps they can institute a
> > lifetime award for this one.
>
> If there were such an Oscar, I believe that Casablanca would have to
> take it:
>
> "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Some other famous last lines on the AFI list:

"All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up." (Sunset Boulevard)
"After all, tomorrow is another day!" (Gone with the Wind)
"Soylent Green is people!" (Soylent Green)
"Oh, no, it wasn't the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast." (King Kong)

--bgz

--
Ben Zimmer
http://benzimmer.com/