of cat-heads and catenaries

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 17 18:03:21 UTC 2010

Sorry... I was following the Wiki mention from the preceding paragraph, and
I didn't realize that "there is a suggestion" was meant to refer to a
different article not explicitly mentioned. The implication was not as clear
to me as it was to you.

Wiki has a picture of a modern CONT with only a single knot in each

"tail", and this is the way that nearly all modern CONTs are made and

have been made for well over 100 years. This does not mean, however,

that the tails always contained a single knot.

> There is a suggestion that the name "cat-head" for the anchor beams

was derived from the German Kattenkopf for the knot with which the

anchor cable was traditionally attached. The knot's shape resembled a

cat's head in a way I previously described. This suggestion also ended

up in Wiki.

m a m