recently found

Rick Barr rickbarremail at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 17 20:52:11 UTC 2010

But I think so many linguistic dares in Angier's writings are beyond almost
any fringe. This has become her style, and I sometimes wonder how it's so
popular.

Just two examples from her bestselling book "The Canon" (2008):
-- "the battle against evolution madly, militantly, proptosically, soldiers
on" (p. 151).
-- "we began using it [a microscope] to examine the decidua of
everyday life" (p.
24).

Suffice it to say that neither "proptosically" nor "decidua" are canonical
in the way she uses them in "The Canon." These are at the very least
convoluted extensions of the more standard meanings of these already rare
words.

So I wouldn't expect these words to become standard, as I wouldn't expect
her pun-heavy verbalizations to spread into many speakers' idiolects.

-- Rick