Dialect Notes 1903: Word-List from East Alabama

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 19 00:33:21 UTC 2010

Exactly so, Jon. The author of this list specifically states that his
examples are from the region around the former Alabama Polytechnic
Institute at Auburn, now Auburn University, even noting that, e.g.
WIFE is college slang for "roommate," whereas WOMAN is the local
country-folks' term for a female spouse.

As for "news to me," do you mean to say that that's *not* one of the
ways in which a researcher distinguishes "dialect"/"slang" from some
spoken or written standard? The author notes that the locals pronounce
"what" as WHUT, presumably [(h)w^t). Assuming that [hw^t] is what he
meant by that spelling, this would never have caught my attention,
because that's the way that I pronounce it and the only variant that
I'm consciously aware of, abstracting away from non-U.S. Englishes, is
[w^t], I can't imagine how a native Southerner could have found the
pronunciation [hw^t] of any interest, nor can I imagine what he
regarded as the "correct" pronunciation.

Likewise, when I lived in Saint Louis, anyone with hearing could
distinguish a minimum of four local dialects, two white and two black,
because he could easily hear three other ways of speaking that, in
some sense, would be "news to him" with respect to his own version of
the local dialect.

--
-Wilson
–––