Advice for prescriptivists, & translating Aurelius

Paul Frank paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU
Sun Sep 19 16:22:36 UTC 2010

Thanks for your take on this text, Joel. My knowledge of Greek (the
language Marcus Aurelius chose to write in) is non-existent, and of
Latin is limited to what I came across in Asterix as a kid, so I'm no
judge of the quality of this or any translation of a Greek or Latin
classic. The translator is Gregory Hays and I was remiss in not
mentioning him. But as a translator I'm aware that a writer is the
writer herself, or himself, plus his translators. Or as José Ortega y
Gasset put it more beautifully, un escritor es él y sus traductores.
In other words, there are as many versions of a great book as there
are translations of it. And though I don't read ancient Greek, I'm
guessing that translation from that distant language into English is
very much a matter of the interpretation and biases of the translator.
Translations from Classical Chinese, I language I do read, are
notoriously dependent on the whims and preferences of the translator.
Another thing: though classics never get past their sell-by date,
translations do. Eighteenth and nineteenth-century English
translations of Russian or German literature are unreadable. But we
are still reading Jane Austen, the Russians are still reading
Dostoyevsky, and the Germans are still reading Goethe and Schiller in
the original languages. There's more than truthiness in the adage that
every generation needs its own translation of the classics.

Paul

Paul Frank
Translator
German, French, Italian > English