the (ambivalent) schneid

Mon Sep 20 01:03:24 UTC 2010

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:

> More on this, from a blog exchange on (of all things) the Washington Nationals,
> http://natslooser.blogspot.com/2010/06/keeping-streak-alive.html
> [It may help to know that Brian Schneider is the Nationals' catcher.]
>

> MikeHarris said...
>
> ... I'd say Clippard is back on track but the last time I raved about
> him, he went off the schneid so I won't say anything good about him
> ever again. [...]
>
> June 5, 2010 9:27 AM
> =============
> Anonymous said...
>
> Going off the schneid is a good thing, dude. Being on the schneid is bad.
>
> For reference, consult that old Seinfeld episode with the joke about
> being on or off the wagon.

My mind went there too. The episode was "The Red Dot" (aired 12/11/91):

---
http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheRedDot.htm
Jerry: He's a recovering alcoholic.
George: Really?
Jerry: Yeah. He's been off the wagon for two years.
George: "Off the wagon"?
Jerry: I think it's off the wagon.
George: I think it's "on the wagon".
[...]
Elaine: One drink like that and he could fall right off the wagon.
George: Told you.
[...]
Jerry: Oh, wait a second, I believe we have a heckler ladies and
gentlemen. Hey Dick I don't know what your problem is. It's not my
fault you're back on the wagon.
Dick: It's off the wagon.
Jerry: In the old days how do you think they got the alcohol from town to town?
Dick: I don't know.
Jerry: On the wagon. Don't you think they broke into a couple of those
bottles along the way?
Dick: You can't drink on a wagon, it would be too bumpy.
Jerry: They had smooth trails. What about the Cumberland Gap?
Dick: What the hell do you know about wagons?
Jerry: I know enough not to get on them.
---

--
Ben Zimmer
http://benzimmer.com/