of cat-heads and catenaries (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Sep 20 16:35:14 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

------
> -
>
> You humanitarians must have neglected the second half of Arts and
> Sciences.  I not only encountered the word "catenary", but I think I
> had to solve problems involving them -- loaded and unloaded -- in
> some physics or engineering course.
>
> Joel

Just so people know:

"Catenary" is the shape formed when a chain of constant linear density
is held by the ends, and the ends are at the same height.  You come
across it in civil engineering, engineering mechanics (statics,
specifically), physics, and differential equations.

The U-shaped cables supporting the Golden Gate bridge (and other
well-designed cable-stayed classical suspension bridges) are catenaries.

Wilson mentioned the great Arch in St. Louis -- if an arch is designed
so that the load is more or less constant across its span, then it will
be an upside down catenary.  The arches that hold up ancient stone
bridges or Roman aqueducts have catenaries within them.