Dialect Notes 1903: Word-List from East Alabama

Mon Sep 20 19:01:36 UTC 2010

John Baker wrote:

> "Snipe hunt" does not appear to be in the OED. Is this not a practical
> joke used in the UK? I've never come across one in real life, but
> references to them are common enough that I expect most Americans have
> heard of them.

We have snipe in the UK, but the species is of marshland, not woodland,
and so it would be improbable that a snipe hunt would be organised on
foot. Certainly, I've never encountered the term.

When I looked into "left holding the bag", I found this in Albert Bigelow
Paine's biography of Mark Twain: "In every trade tricks are played on the
new apprentice, and Sam felt that it was his turn to play them. With John
Briggs to help him, tortures for Jim Wolfe were invented and applied. They
taught him to paddle a canoe, and upset him. They took him sniping at
night and left him 'holding the bag' in the old traditional fashion while
they slipped off home and went to bed".

This, taken together with responses from American readers who explained
that "sniping" meant a practical joke called a snipe hunt, meant that I
have since assumed that the term is American, not British.

"Holding the bag" however, certainly is British in origin.

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words