OFF LIST RE: Dialect clash (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 21 02:46:55 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC
<Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:
> "Em, Aye child, En"????

My vote is for that one. But I haven't heard the song in years. I've
never liked it because it's a total rip-off of Bo-Diddley's "I'm A
Man" (pronounced "Umma Maine"). I usually vastly prefer the original
versions to any cover, even when the original performer covers
himself. But, of course, there are exceptions, e.g. I prefer the
covers of "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' on," "Memphis." and "Piece of My
Heart" - abstracting away from the fact that Janis Joplin was a native
of Beaumont, TX, and I, too, am a native of Texas who once lived in
Beaumont - to the originals. But Elvis's cover of "Houn' Dog," Billy
Lee Riley's cover of "Red-Hot," and the Stones' cover of "It's All
Over, Now" are abominations. OTOH, the Stones' cover of "Down-Home
Girl" is, IMO, superior to the original.

Youneverknow. Different strokes, etc.

--
-Wilson
–––