spurious nicknaming

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 22 03:17:22 UTC 2010

  One character on last week's episode of Sons of Anarchy referred to
another as "my greedy little guatie". By itself, this would have been
unremarkable (guatie==Guatemalan), but this was preceded by an earlier
reference to "the Guatemalan hottie". The speaker and the referent in
both cases were the same, so I was wondering if the scriptwriters went
for a spurious portmanteau (yes, "guatie" is a likely but somewhat
uncommon reference to Guatemalans--~9000 raw ghits, but only a couple
have anything to do with Guatemala--and the additional baggage should
not be dismissed).

     VS-)

PS: A few additional details here.

http://bit.ly/9Bmrat