Green's Dictionary of Slang

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Thu Sep 23 17:09:00 UTC 2010

From: "Michael Quinion" <wordseditor at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG>

>> Jonathon Green's historical dictionary of slang is finally being
>> published:
>>
>> http://is.gd/foTvy
>>
>> Three volumes, $450, published by Oxford University Press.
>
> Only by OUP in the USA. The original British publisher is Chambers. It's
> out tomorrow, Friday 24 September.
>
> --
> Michael Quinion

£130 from amazon.co.uk here, though the price on the publisher's site may be
closer to the $450 quoted by Michael above.  24th September is probably
optimistic -- originally amazon were flagging it (when I preordered it) as
out on the 21st, but now they're saying "expected to be sent on the 29th
September."

Whatever, Real Soon Now.

Re the publisher -- it probably matters that Chambers rather than OUP are
the actual publishers since, as far as I know, it won't be integrated into
the OED in the way Jon's HDAS is to be (if I have this right).

Be nice if it were available in a searchable form, though.  The Oxford
Historical Thesaurus is virtually unusable as it stands in all its two
volume hardcopy glory.

Mind you, online would be cherry on the cake for Jonathan Green's new
[cited] historical dictionary of slang [and cant].  How will it be
acronymed?  GDS? DHS? HDS?

Robin